My Quote of the week

Monday, May 25, 2009

My Living Testimony - Part 4

Arrested by the truth!

Agitated and highly strung I was coming down hard from the past few days of exceptional highs. Speed, coke, dope, vodka a hearty cocktail for the acquired junkie of many tastes. It's around 6:00am and I can see daylight, the world is up and I'm out on the hunt. I need a fix and I need it now! Down to the early opener and I'm sure I'll score or "get on" as it was called. Within 30 minutes I'm fixed up with a couple of foils and some dope which will last me the day with getting some more smoko later. A quick VLS (vodka Lime and Soda) and I'm off. I had previously arranged to meet a couple of mates down at the local a little later that day and then we would go and have a hit.....of golf that is, you thought drugs didn't you? Yes from time to time we loved a game of golf, 18 holes around the local golf course. We didn't play very well but missing balls and messing up each others shots was fun. We would laugh and bag one another out, have a few joints, a drink or seven on the way around, with blue skies above and not a cloud in sight the sun shinning, what perfection! Then later it would be back to the hotel for more drinks a few bucks on the horses or whatever was running. Now that was a perfect day all in all, a complete day. What more could you ask for? But little did I know that this day was going to be different, very different!
After having my morning hit, some smoko, then a little breakfast another couple of VLS's I was off to pick up my mates and our clubs. Leaving the hotel I did a U-turn in a small side street to get back into the direction I needed to go, but down the end of the street was a police car. O-Oh! what are they doing there? Calmly I continued on as if not even seeing them. I didn't want to draw attention any to us. Too late, we were now being tailed. They followed us immediately as they had seen the three of us leaving the hotel together. I was driving a run down VW convertible with the top down so we were in full view of the police. Drugs on my person in my pockets and wallet and driving, there was nothing I could do to get rid of the stuff as they were right on our tail and watching every move we made.
I drove so carefully being sure not to make a single mistake, my eyes stayed focused on the road looking straight ahead and not once did any of us turn around, we tried to pretend they weren't there. I think we drove almost 10 kilometers chased by police through the western suburbs of Sydney without a single mistake but ahead the traffic light had turned yellow. If I stop now they are going to ram us and if I don't stop they will say I went through on the red. I tried to brake but could see it wasn't going to work, so I planted my foot hard on the accelerator and went through as the light had turned red! Well that was all they needed and the chase was on for them! lights on but no siren as they perused us. We were right around the corner from the golf course at that point so I continued on and headed straight to it, besides there was no where to pull over anyway as the traffic was full on, rush hour. I turned into the golf course car park skidding in the dirt and gravel, and out of nowhere three other police cars and a motorbike cop pulled in like there had been a robbery or something apprehending the suspects. A cloud of dust settled and we were surrounded! we were ordered out of the vehicle and stood apart, searched and then informed of what we had done - "Failing to stop at a red light" but we knew that wasn't really what this was about. After half an hour of interrogation at the golf course car park and being searched including the vehicle, we were about to be written up with a ticket when one of the cops said, I haven't search your wallets! that was me done for. The last to be searched I knew there was no way of getting out of this one, he found the drugs and I was arrested. Handcuffed and taken away, my mates laughed at what had just happened and they went on to play golf, they took my car back for me and I let them know I'll catch up with them later at the hotel.
Now under arrested and handcuffed I was taken straight through to Westmead hospital. My head down shades on, you know the mirrored kind! full beard, tatts and torn clothes, I realized for the first time ever that I even looked like a junkie. I wasn't humiliated just angry at the stares from people thinking to myself I was once like you, don't judge me! who are you to judge me. Have you walked in my shoes, now I felt ashamed - only a little. I was taken to a small examination room where I had to give a urine sample. In the corner of the room was a doctor and two cops standing close by. I don't know if you have ever been in the same position with your system full of drugs, if so you'll know what I mean when I say, the urine was ripe. The cops reeled back covering their noses and mouths. The language they used to describe what they smelled made me laugh quietly to myself and whilst finishing up I shook from laughter but quietly, I think they found my laughing amusing as well. After the blood test as well, which clearly exposed all my track marks I was taken to the police station at Parramatta and charged. Funnily I knew the arresting officer from a couple of years back. I had met him at a party I went to which his mother had invited me to as I knew her well. She had bought the apartment I was living in and had allowed me to keep renting there with her for a couple of months. So technically I lived with his mother, how funny is that! When the drug tests had come back I was informed that I had enough drugs in my system to kill three people. I was three times over a lethal dose, any wonder my body was rejecting this stuff. When questioned back at the station I couldn't help but tell the truth, something in me fell short of lying, I couldn't get away with anything. I was arrested by the truth of it all and the situation fell heavily upon me, all I wanted was for it all to end. Several police searched my apartment, with my consent of course after being told they could get a warrant and just bash the door down and tear the place apart, so I watch on as they invaded my privacy and searched through every piece of clothing, paper, cupboards and linen, you name it they went through it.
As soon as they left a sigh of relief was exhaled and off I went to the hotel to regale what had just happened. I tried to laugh the whole thing off and put it down as an experience, though I kept thinking through the gravity of the situation and I couldn't shake it, the truth of it and the degradation of it weighed me down. I was gone for almost six hours arrested, searched, interrogated, violated and humiliated by the cops as they went through my belongings and read personal stuff written by me. This is the last time I was going to let this happen and I no longer want this kind of life. Not only had I been physically arrested but also in my conscience, heart and to the pit of my stomach by the truth. Simply a shake up to make me think about what I was doing to my life and where I was headed had just happened and I was overwhelmed. As for my mates, what mates? they couldn't even come pick me up, they just laughed and squandered whatever I had along with the fortune I had recently acquired which was now all but gone along with my desire for this lifestyle.
At court 12 months later the arresting officer to my amazement stuttered and mumbled and couldn't get the words out, the magistrate was so angry with him and told him to speak up. He had made several mistakes and the whole case seemed to be bungled. The short of it all was a $500 fine for each offence x 4 and I lost my license for a time, driving under the influence of a drug. God certainly came to my side and helped me in this matter. Justice was served, but by the grace of God I came out of it OK! The scenario could have been a lot different with jail time on the table.
Within the bounds of the law God can do wonders for His children and those who are truly repentant, after all the law and government is set in place by God and under the authority of God. Yes! corruption exists but in no way does this inhibit God and His power.

Back to my roommate, his mother was a Christian and had often asked me to church.....I declined every time but now I was seriously thinking more and more about it! I needed help and was desperate to get out before ending up in prison or dead. Church was looking like a good option at this point......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a comment...:)

Searching for a blog - Try Here!

A reminder of my youth, my mates and of where I grew up.....

Thanks for looking....

please feel free to leave a comment too!

Rinaldo