My Quote of the week

Saturday, May 9, 2009

What's your name?



I was named after my grandfather Rinaldo on my paternal side and hated the name. What did it mean? How strange to me it was as a young child. It was shortened though during my youth by my maternal family and I was known as something totally different which didn't resemble and had nothing to do with the first....at all!
At the age of 18 I changed my name legally to a good Aussie name, which served two purposes, firstly to escape my surname, the name of my mother's new surname and of my step father, the maternal grandparents and the paternal side which was all just so confusing and secondly tax reasons. I worked illegally for a while under this other name as I was paid at a higher rate due to falsifying my age amongst other things, but that's a whole other show! In my family we all had different names, my sister grew up with my maternal grandmother and had another name, my mother married again and had another name, I didn't know my father or any other relative with my name or surname, so why should I keep it?
So I began a whole new identity and life at the age of 18 with a totally different name......but it didn't change the fact that I was still Rinaldo of Italian decent, born in Australia, with all the same history, events and estranged family! it never changed who I was, I still exsisted even with a new name, nothing had changed.
After 15 years or so through circumstances I wont go into now I came across someone who knew my father and every year he visited the very same village where he was from in Italy. I wanted to know more and reach out to my heritage. I tried to make contact with him through this person without success. I needed to know all about him and what he was like, did I have any other relatives, how many, who were they, what were their names, where are they and so on? I found out a few years later that word got through to my father and he sent me a letter which was lost and he also was excited to know about his son. Cutting this story short which I will go into at another time, before I could ever make contact with him, he died. I never met or heard from him, ever!
I find it very odd that in life we all at some point will search out the truth of ourselves and our heritage. I now am proud of this name which I had abandoned and now talk of freely, I use it as my alias.
A name means something and has substance to it, you are known by it, God knows you by name. It often reflects you and your character. People associate you and your name with your qualities, character and personality.
A bad name goes long ahead of you and people steer clear of it and you. A good name brings people to you! It is a good thing to have a reputable name; it’s regarded as a blessing and not a curse. We need to have positive spoken over us and let God build us a good name, reputation and standing in our communities.
Some people can hide behind a name but you can’t escape who you are, your character and personality shine through every time. People want to use good names, e.g. sporting identities, actors who will promote products and endorse just causes.
For my friend, don't let your name be tarnished by others but be humble and know that God knows......to me you are a flower and a flower is not only beautiful but perfect in form. It is delicate in motion and graceful in sight. Vibrant and alive! A flower has its own fragrance which adds to ones life, it can be useful and beautiful to many. Think of pollination and how much else grows because when in contact with pollen it brings about germination of a new life. One can make sweet nectar with the life you ooze and others marvel at the hive or what someone else can build through savouring and storing the rich honey that comes from the flower. You touch others and are fragrant and beautiful, the way the Lord wants us to be. You are special and have indirectly touched my life - be encouraged and not whither away, because "encouragement causes power and effect"

For D. You have a good and perfect name....

God wants us to be known by His name, and to be a blessing!

Rinaldo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting me and leaving a comment...:)

Searching for a blog - Try Here!

A reminder of my youth, my mates and of where I grew up.....

Thanks for looking....

please feel free to leave a comment too!

Rinaldo